Veterans Benefits

Millions of veterans and their families are eligible for veterans benefits but do not even know they are available or how to go about receiving them. There are many reasons for this, including confusion about what veterans benefits are available, who is eligible to receive them, and a complicated approval process. One of the most valuable veterans benefits available is, sadly, one of the least utilized—the Aid and Attendance Improved Pension.


The Aid and Attendance Improved Pension

This program allows an eligible veteran and spouse to receive more than $25,000 annually for assistance with medical expenses and long-term care. An eligible veteran’s widowed spouse can receive more than $13,500 a year. This income is tax-free for life. The Aid and Attendance benefit can be used to pay anyone, even the eligible veteran’s child, for home care. In addition, it can be used to help pay for professional care in the home, assisted living care, and nursing home care. In essence, it allows an eligible veteran or widowed spouse to remain independent for as long as possible and protect family assets against the high cost of long-term care.

For a veteran to be eligible for Aid and Attendance, he or she must:

  • Have served at least 90 days of active duty, with at least one day during a period of wartime
  • Have received a discharge other than dishonorable
  • Have medical expenses
  • Pass an asset and income test

If you think that you or someone you love might be eligible for Aid and Attendance, contact our Indiana veterans benefits lawyers for a consultation. We can determine if you are indeed eligible, expedite the approval process, and help you obtain the maximum amount of benefits you deserve. Even if you have been denied Aid and Attendance in the past, we may still be able to help you obtain it on appeal.

When you apply for veteran’s benefits you must submit a certified copy of the veteran’s discharge paperwork. You can request certified copies of the discharge paperwork by submitting this form to the National Archives. Discharge Paperwork